- Online and distance learning, Education psychology,
- Education technology,
- Intelligent and Interactive Technologies in an Educational Context,
- Collaborative Learning in Online Environments,
- Models of Teaching and Learning,
- Evaluation on learning and teaching,
- Simulation on learning and teaching,
- Inequity and inequality in education.
[Regular]"The Adaptive Features of an Intelligent Tutoring System for Adult Literacy" by Genghu Shi
July 31 (CDT) 8:00 PM-8:30 PM
August 1 (BJT) 9:00 AM-9:30 AMAugust 1 (CET) 3:00 AM-3:30 AM
Adult learners with low literacy skills compose a highly heterogeneous population in terms of demographic variables, educational backgrounds, knowledge and skills in reading, selfefficacy, motivation etc. They also face various difficulties in consistently attending offline literacy programs, such as unstable worktime, transportation difficulties, and childcare issues. AutoTutor for Adult Reading Comprehension (ATARC), as an online conversation-based intelligent tutoring system that incorporated a theoretical model of reading comprehension, was developed with great efforts to meet adult learners’ needs and be adaptive to their knowledge, skills, selfefficacy, and motivation. In this paper, we introduced the adaptive features of AT-ARC from four aspects: learning material selection, adaptive branching, trialogues, and interface, as well as the rationale behind these designs. In the end, we suggested further research on improving the adaptivity of AT-ARC.